This page has moved to a new address.

Dinner in 20 minutes- Easy Chicken and Rice in a Pot

Shelf Reliance Mom: Dinner in 20 minutes- Easy Chicken and Rice in a Pot

Monday, May 2, 2011

Dinner in 20 minutes- Easy Chicken and Rice in a Pot


This recipe is one that I use at parties (usually with the cornbread) because it is so simple.  I know that it will turn out perfect even if I am not giving it much attention since I am focusing on the party guests rather than cooking.  It is actually a go-to recipe for me on crazy nights when I don't feel like cooking, but I want to have a home-cooked meal.


Please note that this recipe makes A BUNCH since I use it at parties.  I love having left overs.  Feel free to cut it in half if you are not the type to eat meals 2 nights in a row :)  Since all of THRIVE foods are washed, chopped up and ready to go its easy to create Thrive recipes in a snap!


Easy Chicken and Rice in a Pot
2 c rice
8 c water
1 T THRIVE Butter Powder
4 T THRIVE Chicken Bouillon 
1/3 c THRIVE Carrots
1/3 c THRIVE FD Corn
1/3 c THRIVE FD Onions
1/3 c THRIVE FD Peas
1/8 c THRIVE FD Celery
2 cooked chicken breasts or FD Chicken


Throw all of the ingredients into a large pot and bring to a rolling boil.  Turn the heat down and allow to simmer with the lid on for about 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked.  Use a fork to shred the chicken that is on top of the rice and serve.









              
                      Click here to Print Full Page recipe

Click here to Print 4x6 or 3x5 of this recipe
Another Time Saving  Tip

While I am on the subject of quick and easy meals, I thought I'd let everyone in on a little secret of mine that makes for quick dinners especially on nights that I don' t feel like cooking.  When I buy a large package of raw chicken breasts from the store, I put them all into a crockpot right when I get home.  I put a little seasoning on them: McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning, Chicken Bouillon, or just good old fashioned salt and pepper will do the trick. I allow these babies to cook on low for a few hours until fully cooked.  I put the chicken breast in a variety of freezer bags depending on the amounts I need for different recipes, then pop them in the freezer.  They are wonderully flavored and moist since they cook in their own broth and save tons of oven time, heat (my house gets REALLY hot in the summer so this is a HUGE bonus for me), and money since I don't have to pay to heat up my oven each time I need cooked chicken.  Don't forget to save that leftover broth.  You can either put it into a Rubbermaid container if you know that you are going to be using it within a few days, or freeze it into little ice cubes that you can just throw into soups or rice later to replace the water and add alot more flavor to the dish without the added sodium.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 5, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Tiffany Daumueller said...

I forgot to say to let it simmer with the lid on. I know most of you probably already guessed that since its rice, but I thought I'd be sure to mention it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home