This page has moved to a new address.

Homemade El Pato Sauce Recipe

Shelf Reliance Mom: Homemade El Pato Sauce Recipe

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Homemade El Pato Sauce Recipe

If you know me, you know that I try making everything from scratch because I am not a fan of going to the grocery store very often.  If I am out of something I need, I usually try to look at what I have in the house and see if I can make it from home with my THRIVE or regular ingredients. The discovery of a homemade el pato sauce was such an exciting thing for me and it is the number one post on the blog so I hope you enjoy it.  You can also be sure to check out homemade buttermilk homemade cream of ,,, soup,  and swapping out beans for butter in cookies (I promise its awesome! Plus, you can make cookies more often without the guilt of so much butter) Back to the sauce...
Once you've tried this stuff it's difficult not to stay addicted! I add it to EVERYTHING: soup, beans, chili, burritos, rice... I love it.  So the other day I was thinking how would I do a year's worth of meals without this wonderful can of natural goodness?  I spent about an hour searching on the web and found a recipe that another person had posted.  Mine is derived from hers, but I'm sorry to say that I haven't been able to re-find it to give her credit.  I changed it up a little bit to make it THRIVE friendly, so here goes:


Homemade El Pato Sauce
1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t onion powder
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t red chile powder
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t salt
2 shakes (sprinkles, or whatever) of cinnamon, cloves, and oregano
1/4 t white vinegar

THRIVE Homemade El Pato Sauce
1 c water
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t onion powder (you can probably use FD Onions here)
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t red chile powder
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t salt
2 shakes (sprinkles, or whatever) of cinnamon, cloves, and oregano
1/4 t white vinegar

Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pot and bring to a simmer and allow the ingredients to comingle;) Salt and pepper to taste.

For those of you who haven't been introduced to THRIVE foods yet, you can go to www.shelfreliancemom.shelfreliance.com and check out what its all about.

While I don't think that it is quite as good as the original thing, my husband swears it tastes better.  So take that as you will.  However, if I were to live on food storage only, this would definitely be used over and over (and over) again.  In the meantime I will keep trying to find one that is dead on.

Now I need to find a replacement for Rotel...anyone got a recipe?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM , Blogger The Bargain Hunting Mom said...

I have been looking for a recipe like this. Have you tried it for pasta or pizza sauce?

 
At April 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Tiffany Daumueller said...

I actually have tried it for a spicy pasta dish, but not in one like spaghetti. We like using it in a lot of soup, burrito and other Mexican recipes. LOVE me some El Pato!

 
At September 2, 2021 at 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can this recipe be canned?

 
At September 18, 2022 at 3:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy you remember the recipe & not the op

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home