This page has moved to a new address.

Nuclear Explosion- What would you do?

Shelf Reliance Mom: Nuclear Explosion- What would you do?

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Nuclear Explosion- What would you do?



Potassium Iodide
In an attempt to start helping others get ready for disasters that seem to be hitting closer and closer to home, today I would like to highlight an item that I love from Shelf Reliance.  If anyone asks if I've used it before, thankfully I'd say NO, and I hope that I never have to.  However, I do think that these are a very important item to have in your 72 hour kit, as well as know the dosage amount you would need. so you know how much to purchase.  I am not saying that there will be a huge nuclear disaster, but I am sure that no one planned for the tsunami occurance in Japan and these pills sold out overnight.  Some people might not know this but the earthquake and hurricane in the DC area actually threatened a plant closer to home.  Please don't be caught unaware!


The minimum amount per day according to a few sources is 2 tablets per day for adults.  For children over 60 lbs.and up and 1/2 a tablet for those under the age of 3.  You are supposed to plan for a minimum of 15 days per person depending on how close the incident took place.  Why am I telling you this?  So you will know how many packages to purchase!  So for my family of 4, I have 2 adults, 1 older child (1 tablet sized) and 1 baby (1/2 tablet sized).  This means for 15 days I need 2 adults * 2 pills * 15 days= 60
Child #1 15*1=15
Child #2 15 * 1/2 = 7.5
Total 82.5 pills


82.5 pills / 14 in a package = 6 packages MINIMUM


Here's the math for you!  
30 tablets for each adult
15 tablets for 60 lbs- 18 years (Some sources say 3 years to 18 years so that is what we are doing, better safe than sorry!)
7.5 tablets for your children less than 3 years old.


There are 14 tablets to a package so 2 packs per adult, 1 pack per kid, 1/2 a pack per baby.  Note this is a little a pill short, just making the math easier, so er on the side of caution and order 1 extra pack. 


Other things I learned:  You must drink at least 8 oz of water with the tablets and you cannot lay down until 10 minutes have passed.  If you take it with food, it will help your stomach from feeling as sick. Continue taking prescription medications unless directed otherwise from your doctor. (MAKE SURE YOU ASK!!!)


If you can't afford for the whole time period, everyday will help. Please get what you can.  If money isn't an issue for you, don't just plan for the minimum.  What if there are multiple attacks or occurances?  What if you can help other friends or family members?


I'd like to hear from you.  What is your most important priority preparedness item?


-Shelf Reliance Mom

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home