This page has moved to a new address.

Healthy Mama Top Tips

Shelf Reliance Mom: Healthy Mama Top Tips

Monday, March 18, 2013

Healthy Mama Top Tips

Happy Monday Everyone!!! We are on a mission to make Monday somethin that you look forward to instead of dread!!! Hopefully this post is a good start!!!
I have been working on a list of the best tips and advice that I have received or things that have helped me on my journey as a mama. Here goes:

Handy Dandy Water Glass!!
1.   Good ol' H2O!!!
Water is so important!!! Not only is water important to a healthy pregnancy, but also to a breastfeeding mama! You need so much water in order to make milk or keep your amniotic fluid goin strong, but also to keep your own body hydrated. I find that the best way to make sure that you are getting enough water during the day is to make yourself accountable! You will need 2 Liters everyday while pregnant or nursing (4 oz. extra for every 20lbs. overweight) What works best for me is to get a water bottle or cup that is around 1 liter. Then I divide up my day in 2 (I go from 6am-12noon and 12noon-6pm). that way you curb your intake before bed so you are not up all night! Then I just make sure that I drink the entire glass or bottle before that time! Also, I drink so much better if it is from a straw, so if that helps you, make sure to get a cup or bottle that has a straw. The idea here is to make it effortless!!!

2. Be prepared!
The easiest way to eat healthy foods is to have them ready and at your disposal. The reason that most of us eat junk food is because we have it lying around and it is usually in a nice little package that is easy and convenient. If you plan ahead a little bit and make sure that the healthy snacks are easy and convenient, you are much more likely to choose those. This is also why I make my Breastmilk Boosting Breakfast cookies! What I did was picked 1 day a week, usually Sunday because the hubby is home and can help, to pack snacks and plan meals. Make the snacks something you already like! My favorites are the THRIVE fruit line. Strawberries, Pineapple, Raspberries, Blueberries, and Blackberries are my favorites!! I usually make a "trail mix" type of snack bag by throwing in some of my favorite freeze dried fruits, nuts, and granola or yogurt chips. This way when I am out and about, I can just grab my snack bag and enjoy instead of being tempted by my other choices! :) These yummy granola bars are also an awesome option! Be creative and add what you like!
These are so yummy!!! We eat them right out of the can!
3. Indulge!
I cannot stress enough how important it is to treat yourself to something nice! It does not have to be food (although it certainly can be)! Get a pedicure, take a bath, rent a movie! It doesn't matter what you do, just do something! I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas, so for me, sweets are my indulgences! I love the THRIVE macaroons! Dipped in a little chocolate and I am in heaven! That is all it takes to make it easy for me to eat well the rest of the time...1 little macaroon...or maybe 2!

4. Find yourself in Awe...
Take a little but of time to think about just what we are doing here. If you are pregnant, just take a little time to think about what a miracle it is to be helping your little one grow! It takes a LOT of hard work to make a tiny person, and it truly is amazing! If you are a nursing mama, just think about all the steps your body goes through in order to make milk for your little one. I am still dumbfounded that it even works in the first place! Once you think about how amazing all of this is, eating healthy and taking care of yourself really doesn't seem so hard anymore!

And Last but certainly not least...

5. Catch some ZZZ's
I know that as a pregnant or new mama, sleep is something of a precious thing! However, it is one of the most important things that you can do for a healthy body. Do whatever you need to do to relax yourself and get some rest. If that means napping while your little one naps, then do it! Do not let anyone make you feel like a slacker for taking care of your body. After all, it is the only one you get!
Don't forget to check us out tomorrow for info on our big giveaway!! Happy Monday!
 
 




Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home